Sunday 13 October 2013

Moving On

Since the last update quite a bit has happened.  Ross having to return home due to injury is the most important bit of news.  This was a large knock for us both, and I am extremely sad that his trip ended in that way.  However I am sure he is even more gutted.  On the other hand he gets to sleep in clean, nice-smelling beds and will never have to look at a salami baguette again!

Refuelling mid-Pyrenees


I have decided to continue cycling towards Morocco on my own.  I´ve got quite mixed feelings about this; excitement at having an amazing opportunity, sadness to have lost half of the team, and fear of loneliness on the road ahead.  Uncertainty is playing a large part at the minute in that I don´t know how long I can cope in my own company.  This will be the limiting factor in how close I get to Morocco.

I am certain I will experience extremes of emotion along the way.  In a strange way the deepest lows make me feel just as alive as the highest joys, and this feeling of Life is extremely appealing.  It just seems slightly (very?) masochistic sometimes.  Maybe my theme tune should be John Mellencamp...


In other news, after Ross left on Tuesday I made my way to Montserrat.  This is a big strange-looking mountain an hour from Barcelona.  It´s made up of hundreds of strange conglomerate towers, all rounded and worn into strange shapes.  Of course there is loads of climbing to be done, but also a lot of praying.

Monastery in the mountain
The campsite on the mountain is very small, perched above the airy abyss and just across from the monastery.  All day and much of the night can be spent listening to the bells and choir singing.  Very soothing until you get woken at 0245 by some form of religious noise pollution!

I spent 3 days on the mountain, exploring on foot and considering the future of UK2Africa.  I did some great running, up to over 1200m and underneath some massive Big Walls.

At the top of the hill, roasting!

Friday came along and I moved back to Barcelona.  I had a visit from Ellie, who arrived Friday evening and left lunchtime today (Sunday).  Although it was a short visit I was so happy to have her around.  We ate, went to the beach and had a wander around the city.  It was a rather large wrench when she left me alone at the airport!  This afternoon was spent in the lowest mood I have been in so far this trip and I seriously considered booking a flight home.

Things fairly picked up once I ate dinner though!  I still miss home but I am once again excited to continue pedalling.  The little things make me happy, like not being able to read the menu, guessing and ending up with roast chicken, gravy and spuds!

Hopefully things will continue to improve apace once I leave the city.  There´s nothing like being surrounded by people to make you feel lonely.

Once again, thankyou to everyone who has been in contact.  I´m thriving on your support.  If anyone wants to join in the cycle or visit please do!

Hairy OUT

1 comment:

  1. Looking into flights to Morocco right now! Need to see the beard in person...x

    ReplyDelete