Saturday 19 October 2013

Name of the Game

Life is good again!  I`ve done about 280 miles over the last 5 days and now I am relaxing in 30 degree heat in Valencia.  Getting on the bike and actually going somewhere has improved my mood massivly.  So much so that I wonder if I was slightly whiney in the last post...

I am here by choice and in the knowledge that it was never going to be easy.  I don`t apologise for the emotion of the last post but I am feeling slightly embarrassed!  Nevertheless it somehow engendered a rather large reaction from all sorts of people  and I am very thankful for all your kind words and support.

This week`s cycling has been mainly coast-hugging.  I used the sea as a navigation aid and kept close to it, finding some deserted roads as a result.

Lunch in Sitges, feeling very sophisticated as the Film Festival was in town

The same roads are pretty bouncy though, and after 1.5 rough days, things started to break.  On Wednesday afternoon my saddle fell apart, a pannier clip popped and I got a puncture.  In the space of 30mins.  In 30 degree heat with no shade.  A moment to savour!  I managed to fix it all with my bag of bits.  No jokes about being too fat for my saddle please!

I continued to cycle and eventually came to a place called Peniscola.  Here I was told of a road that ran through the Nature Reserve for 17km, was really beautiful and just for bikes.  Wonderful news!  I would find camping at the end of the road too, just in time for tea.  So off I pedalled and eventually found myself on an unsurfaced, rock-and-dust track.  Not the sort of place for a heavily laden touring bike!  By this point I had come down some pretty steep hills so resolved to push the bike to the end.  Bad Decision.  I was pushing till 8pm that evening, soaked in sweat and covered in dust.

Stunning scenery on the Death Road

I learned from this episode; never listen to a woman who looks like the school dinnerlady you didn´t like when she talks about the `brilliant road` ahead.  She hasn`t been there, can`t ride a bike and has no idea how heavy my bike is!

Other than that, it`s been quiet.  Very blooming quiet.  In fact, so quiet I got scared!  All along the coast are out-of-season (or out of money) holiday resorts.  Miles of bungalows, apartments and roads to nowhere, all deserted and running with weeds.  No road signs, no shops, no life.  I think I`m going to head inland for the next while!
Another quiet town.  At least it was open!

And now I am in Valencia.  Pleasant city, biggest Oceanarium in Europe apparently.  Biggest entry fee too, 27 Euro!  Not too sure how I`ll spend my time now.  I feel like going to the Oceanarium but the price and ethics of the thing put me off.  I´m not too bothered by old buildings either.  Maybe an open bus tour? Might be a plan!

As far as continuing the cycle goes, Google is directing me inland and saying 8 days to Gibraltar.  This is a lot faster than I had planned, and I don´t have much idea what to see along the way.  Should I spend another day here?  Push on tomorrow and stay in Sierra Nevada mountains for a while?  I don´t really know what I want from the trip now.  I think it has become a mental and physical challenge to find the correct route and see how far I can get in a day, instead of a method of taking in the culture of the area.  There are only so many old buildings I can look at, and only so much time I can spend in a museum!  I will reacha  decision soon.  It is a nice choice to have!

Cheerybye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment